Tuesday, July 21, 2009




Candidate Questionnaire for Board of Alderman Election 2009
from the League of Woman Voters

Biography
John has lived, and been self employed in Frederick for the past 30 years. His businesses have included running his own butcher shop, insurance broker, and taxi cab driver. He spends over 30 hours a week volunteering with senior citizens, and the homeless of Frederick City.

Top 3 Aldermanic priorities
My first priority would be to balance the city budget. My second one would be to work harder to give the Police Department whatever they need to do their job. My third priority would be to add a new bus system into the city which is really needed.

Involvement in the community
I have fought to bring about much needed changes in the Taxi Cab Commission as well as attend their meetings. I attend and watch meetings of the Board of Alderman. I actively work with the Frederick Rescue Mission, and the Cold weather shelter.

Executive Power Question
I believe the Mayor should have the right to override the decisions because he is the number one elected official, and his duty is to oversee those appointed officials mentioned.

The Frederick City Police Department
The Department is not being funded adequately at this time. If we cut the wasteful spending in our City budget we could allocate that money to the Police Department to use to better protect the citizens of this city.

Growth
I believe that we should have no more growth until we can provide the necessary services our citizens need. At this time the city is lacking in those services, and the inner structure is in need of an overhaul. If we cannot support the citizens we have now how can we possibly support growth.

Jobs
I would like to offer a tax incentive to business owners who would like to buy property, and open businesses in our city.

Annexations
I believe that we should only use annexation if, and when we can provide the necessary services that our citizens need, and our inner structure can support.



Please feel free to send me any feedback and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment